Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Monday, June 25, 2007

More on Conscience


From the Catechism:

THE FORMATION OF CONSCIENCE

1783 Conscience must be informed and moral judgment enlightened. A well-formed conscience is upright and truthful. It formulates its judgments according to reason, in conformity with the true good willed by the wisdom of the Creator. The education of conscience is indispensable for human beings who are subjected to negative influences and tempted by sin to prefer their own judgment and to reject authoritative teachings.

1784 The education of the conscience is a lifelong task. From the earliest years, it awakens the child to the knowledge and practice of the interior law recognized by conscience. Prudent education teaches virtue; it prevents or cures fear, selfishness and pride, resentment arising from guilt, and feelings of complacency, born of human weakness and faults. The education of the conscience guarantees freedom and engenders peace of heart.

1785 In the formation of conscience the Word of God is the light for our path,54 we must assimilate it in faith and prayer and put it into practice. We must also examine our conscience before the Lord's Cross. We are assisted by the gifts of the Holy Spirit, aided by the witness or advice of others and guided by the authoritative teaching of the Church.55

1 Comments:

Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

The more one falls in love with Jesus and His Church, the less one is allured to sin...or at the least, the quicker one confesses and repents.

The old "big time" sins no longer have an appeal to me, obviously. It's the the nipping foxes that get me now, my quick temper, my speaking too soon, or not speaking (which can be a sin of omission, though speaking less and listening more is always a good thing.) My tendency to gossip. Not a malicious way, but the little things we sometimes let 'sneak' out of us when we 'know' we shouldn't. My impatience is the really big one for me now. It's a virtue I am woefully in need of and I find it so hard when the pulse rises and the more anxious and angry feelings start churning around inside. That's when I either blow it, by a snippy remark, or lose my temper, or raise my voice, or 'flip off the guy" in my head, if not out the window. It's the same as having done so. So....pray for my formation of conscience. It's in need. The sin to drink, or lust for another just isn't there as in days of old, it's these other sins that keep me in DIRE AND DEAR NEED of my Savior...so I can't hate them away, I need to pray them away...and realize it's going to take TIME.

June 30, 2007 2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis